I have been invited to do a segment on Nick Melidonis’s Mastering the Art of Black and White Photography where I will present:
- my process on how I do black and white photography
- tips on which scenes translate well into a black and white photograph
- tips on how to translate your emotions into black and white
- editing tips
- with plenty of examples of my work
Below is a description on all the other juicy bits this workshop has to offer.
MASTERING THE ART OF BLACK AND WHITE
A GAME OF TONES
Featuring Nick Melidonis and special segment by Johannes Reinhart
Presented by Camera Electronic and Fitzgerald’s Photo Labs
Learn the secrets to producing stunning black and white and toned images. This fun and informative day will include B&W theory using a creative approach; what to look for in rendering a black and white image; composition as a base for creation; best software for full tonal values; how to produce toned images with impact; equipment to use and more.
Two of Australia’s most creative Master photographers, Nick Melidonis and Johannes Reinhart will share their award-winning experiences in producing monochrome images with impact and style.
What you will learn:
- Why Black and White and what has changed in the digital era for B&W
- The great masters of the Black and White Genre
- How to ‘Write with Vision’ rather than ‘Write with Light’
- What makes a good black and white image
- The difference between thinking in Light and thinking in Tones
- The principal composition essentials relating to vision in Black and white
- Using the Zone System
- The Art of Black and White; the ‘Ten Commandments’
- Practical examples in producing black and white images using Lightroom, Photoshop, NIK Silver Effex Pro 2 and Topaz Black and White Effects 2
- Creating your Distinctive Style
Nick Melidonis B Sc, Dip Ed, Grad Dip Ed Tech, APP.L; M Photog V
Nick Melidonis is one of Australia’s foremost landscape/travel photographers and photographic educators and has travelled extensively in pursuit of emotive images from some of the world’s most scenic and wild locations. He is a three-time winner of the AIPP Australian Landscape Photographer of the Year and is an AIPP Master of Photography V (5 gold bars). In 2016, he won the silver medal from 27 countries in the World Photographic Cup held in Portugal in ‘Nature’ ( Landscape and wildlife) category and was a finalist in the 2016 National Geographic Travel Photographer of the Year.
He presents seminars and workshops Australia wide and has led numerous overseas tours to Greece, Borneo, Cambodia, Iceland, Africa, Spain and India. Nick writes regularly for “Better Photography” and “Australian Photography’ magazines and is a sought-after judge nationally and in Camera Clubs.
German-born Johannes Reinhart is an internationally exhibited photographer and educator who now calls Perth, Australia his home. With his childlike curiosity, he pursues a range of creative projects with themes spanning from self-exploration, subculture documentation to emotive portraiture.
Johannes has gained national and international recognition, including winning the Moran Contemporary Photographic Prize in 2016, being a Lensculture Street Photography Awards finalist and named the 2015 Australian Documentary Photographer of the Year. Johannes is recognised as a Master of Photography from the Australian Institute of Professional Photography (AIPP).
Time: Sunday, 24 March
Venue: Law School Lecture Theatre, The University of Notre Dame, 32 Mouat Street, Fremantle, WA 6160
Presenters: Nick Melidonis with a special segemnt by Johannes Johannes Reinhart
Reserve Your Place
Bookings for this seminar are managed through Eventbrite. To book your place, click the button below.